GreenDot Behaviors Preview
An overview of GreenDot behaviors and techniques for achieving them.
GreenDot Behavior Overview
- Health: Eat quinoa for the first time.
- Environment: Install solar panels on a home.
- Commerce: Register online for a new car insurance policy.
Green Dot behaviors are often used in the beginning stages of complex behavior inductions. For example, if a company is interested in creating a loyal, repeat customer, they might start off with a small introductory offer. This can then lead to more extensive, prolonged relations and, eventually, habitual purchasing behavior.
The main challenge that we face while triggering a Green Dot behavior is a lack of ability. Since Dot behaviors occur only once, the subject must have enough knowledge to successfully complete the action on the first attempt. Otherwise, frustration, and quitting, may occur.
To achieve a Green Dot Behavior, three elements must come together at once. As the Fogg Behavior Model describes, you must Trigger the behavior when the person is both Motivated and Able to perform it. If any of these three elements is missing, the behavior will not occur.
- Couple the trigger with a motivational or facilitative element.
- Increase the ability of the subject by explaining the novel behavior in terms of one that is familiar.
- Increase the motivation of the subject by explicitly highlighting the benefits of the action.
About Resource Guides
Our Stanford team created these Resources Guides to help people working on behavior change projects. We can make it easier for you to:
1. Learn about a specific type of behavior change
2. Create solutions for achieving that behavior
In the past, most designers and researchers guessed at solutions for changing behavior. And frankly most attempts failed. Today, rather than guessing at solutions, people who use our Resource Guides will have clear guidance.
Our Stanford team will continue to improve each of the 15 Resource Guides. We welcome your input.
BJ Fogg, Ph.D. (email@example.com)
Director, Persuasive Tech Lab @ Stanford University
Access Premium Resource Guide for GreenDot Behaviors
To gain access to the full behavior guide, with a full set of techniques and solutions, please visit our online store.
To view a sample a guide, please fill out the form below: