GrayPath Behaviors Preview
An overview of GrayPath behaviors and techniques for achieving them.
GrayPath Behavior Overview
- Health: Eat less often at restaurants.
- Environment: Use less water when showering from now on.
- Commerce: Stock up on fewer products to reduce waste.
Gray Path Behaviors are common in interventions for health (“eat less”), environment (“consume less”), and personal financial security (“spend less”).
In a typical case, the behavior being reduced is not desirable, but stopping the behavior completely may not be practical or possible. That’s when Gray Path is the appropriate target behavior.
To achieve a Gray Path Behavior, all successful interventions work by altering at least one element from the Fogg Behavior Model:
- Remove the trigger that leads to the undesirable behavior
- Reduce ability to perform the behavior (make it harder to do)
- Replace motivation for doing the behavior with de-motivators: pain, fear, or social rejection
Our Resource Guide for Gray Path Behaviors explains specific techniques and tools for achieving a reduction for the long term. It also highlights successful programs and online systems that exist for this purpose.
About Resource Guides
Our Stanford team created these Resources Guides to help people working on behavior change projects. We can make it easier for you to:
1. Learn about a specific type of behavior change
2. Create solutions for achieving that behavior
In the past, most designers and researchers guessed at solutions for changing behavior. And frankly most attempts failed. Today, rather than guessing at solutions, people who use our Resource Guides will have clear guidance.
Our Stanford team will continue to improve each of the 15 Resource Guides. We welcome your input.
BJ Fogg, Ph.D. (email@example.com)
Director, Persuasive Tech Lab @ Stanford University
Access Premium Resource Guide for GrayPath Behaviors
To gain access to the full behavior guide, with a full set of techniques and solutions, please visit our online store.
To view a sample a guide, please fill out the form below: